Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Life Happens

Yes, I am alive and shockingly so is this blog. Truth be told, my motivation to blog took a back seat, but I am back and I hope to improve my habits. Nevertheless, I should have posted a note regarding my absence. I do apologize if this has affected anyone. Here is my plan to keep the blog alive. Once a week, I will write a post and publish it over the weekend. Hopefully I can stay true to this. Also, I might alter the theme of this blog to focus more on food. I am not making any promises, so we will have to wait and see.

Phew, after that little speech of self-importance, I will move on to a vegetarian pot pie recipe. Have any of you watched the show Aarti Party on Food Network? She was the Food Network Star two seasons ago and she does have a blog. I love her show for three reasons, she has a beautiful accent, her food is creative, and she does an awesome job of preparing fusion Indian dishes. Now, my veggie pot pie is not adapted from Aarti's show, but it did inspire me to cook something different. So, on a Sunday night filled with NBA action, I made a vegetarian pot pie with curry filling. Here is the recipe and I hope you give it a shot :)

Ingredients
For the crust: (Adapted from here)
1/2 C of  whole wheat flour
1/2 C of all purpose flour
3 Tbs of cold butter
1/4 Tsp of salt
1/4 Tsp of baking powder
1 egg
2 Tbs of cold milk
1 Tsp of Italian seasoning*

For the Filing   
1 small onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 Tbs of olive oil
1 Tsp of cumin seeds
1 Tsp of Garam masala
1Tsp of red chili powder
1/4 tsp of turmeric
1.5 C of mung sprouts
1 boiled red potato
1/2 C of frozen corn

1 tomato
1 bell pepper
1 C of veggie broth
1/2 C of dry red wine* 

Method
  • Prepare the crust in a food processor. Add the flour, salt, baking powder, Italian seasoning,  and the cold butter in the food processor and pulse till the mixture becomes crumbly. Beat 1 egg with the cold milk and add this to the flour mixture. The dough may not stick together and that is okay. Combine the dough into a smooth ball and cover it plastic wrap. Refrigerate it for at least 1 hour or stick it in the freezer for 30-45 minutes (yeah...I am not patient).
Dough
  • For the filling: Heat some olive oil and add cumin seeds to the oil
  • Once the seeds brown, add garam masala, turmeric, and chili powder. 
  • When the species start giving out an aroma, add garlic, onion and ginger
  • Saute the mixture for 2 minutes and add the wine
  • Once the wine starts to bubble, add 1 cup of broth
  • Now add the remaining veggies and cook for 5-10 minutes
  • Add salt and ground black pepper. If you would like to add more heat, Add 1 Tsp of red pepper flakes 

Filling

  • Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees
  • Roll out the dough and cut four circles using a ramekin 
  • Distribute the filling into four ramekins and cover each ramekin with a pastry crust
  • Make sure to poke a few holes into the crust
  • Brush the crust with olive oil 
 
  •  Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown
Enjoy!

*Notes:
I used Italian seasoning but 1 Tsp of Ajwain would taste great
I used red wine because that is what I had in hand. Beer works well, and so does cooking sherry


Verdict: I think the filing should have been more creamy. Next time I make this, I will add more broth and add 1 Tbs of cornstarch. You could also add cheese, cream, or some coconut milk.

4 comments:

Mahi said...

Have heard of this pot pie- but I am not that dare to test it! :) Yours look cool!

Its been a real long time,nice to see you back in action! Keep blogging! I watched that food network star. Thanks for the link of Aarti's blog!

Fashion Meets Food said...

Glad you are back! Loving the recipe and I will definitely have to make it. xo

Snehal said...

Good to see you back. I like this fusion version of a pot pie. Hope to see more posts from you.

Gayatri said...

Good to see you back Sharan. I know what you mean about waning motivation. My blog has become ridiculously slow too!

I've watched Aarti Party a few times. I remem she made chai in the first ep and added like 100 things in it so I was a bit shocked. But other than that, she's good.

This is a great recipe. We're moving soon. So something tells me we will need lots of 1 pot dishes to tide us over the settling in phase.